This is GREAT advice for anyone wanting to being with standards-based grading. A pseudo-system is keeps the training wheels on and allows you to get your feet wet without changing everything about your current structure.
- Shift from tracking by chapter to tracking by concept.
- Allow opportunities for students to show growth.
- Don’t grade homework and practice.
- Provide timely and effective feedback.
- Spiral concepts throughout the curriculum and your assessments.
- Give shorter, more frequent quizzes.
- Assess what you value.
- Provide clear goals and expectations for performance.
- Encourage risk taking, failure, iteration, and experimentation.
- Do what works best for your students and your situation.
A traditional system done in the spirit of SBG is much, much better than an SBG system done poorly. (Trust me, I’m speaking from experience!)